Cingular SMS blocking my Nagios Pages

Robert Snyder rns3 at psu.edu
Tue Aug 1 17:23:18 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Cingular service passing emails to my
phone from my Nagios server.

I can see from the logs that sendmail on my naigos server is sending the
emails. But they never come through. And there is no error returned from
the Cingular mail server.

The emails are from nagios at nagios.myserver.myschool.edu.

I have tried going into the Cingular SMS management tool and adding
nagios.myserver.myschool.edu to the white list for senders to my account.

When that failed, I stopped sending them directly, but instead had them
sent to a mail group on one of our mail servers, with a recipient list
of my SMS phone address. Still no go.

I can successfully send to my phone directly from my email and also via
the email group route.

I have tried setting up the notification as both email and pager.
Neither made a difference.

The odd thing, is that I am able to get pages to my phone from another
nagios implementation on campus that has some of servers in a colocation
room.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am sure they just assume I am spamming the phone.

Robert

Robert Snyder
Outreach Technology Services
The Pennsylvania State University