Distributed / Central and hosts in pgsql

Shawn Holland sholland at sandara.ca
Fri Apr 28 01:12:45 CEST 2006

Hey,

I KNOW ITS LONG BUT PLEASE READ IF YOU CAN HELP.

Well my last email I sent I requested info on how to allow nagios to work with
a list of hosts to be checked in a pgsql database.

I was advised to use a program to make a config file for them.

I did this. But now while working on my next step of trying to get 30 servers
in the field, that each have a list of devices to be monitored stored locally
in their pgsql database.

Am I to understand that from the documentation that you need to have service
definations for all services on each distributed server.

ie. If I have a switch that I want to do a ping check on behind one of my
distributed servers, I'll need to have that service defined on my central
server?

If this is the case then I don't know how I am going to do this. Because the
information may change on each distributed server.

Documentation snip
The central server must have service definitions for all services that are
being monitored by all the distributed servers. Nagios will ignore passive
check results if they do not correspond to a service that has been defined.

My setup is:

Central server
30 distributed servers

Each distributed server has 2 interfaces. One to the outside world and one to
the internal network. The internal network has several devices to be ping
checked and reported back to the central server.

The information for all devices to be ping checked are stored locally on each
distributed server in a pgsql database.

I have a script that will run on each distributed server to generate a config
file outlining all the services for each devices.

This list may change so this script will rebuild the config file daily and
restart nagios to ensure accurate information.

How, if at all, can I acomplish the above.

I know its a lot to ask but any help would be apreciated.

--
Regards,

Shawn Holland
Sandara Technologies Ltd.