latency and parallelize check

Sandeep Narasimha Murthy sandeep-n-murthy at telecom.pt
Thu Apr 27 11:29:08 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding Latency and parallelize checks.
Appreciate some help in this regard..

1. Latency: The average Latency value is 70.24 Seconds for all the
services but I believe is way too high. I browsed the site
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/tuning.html) but couldn't
exactly figure out how to reduce this figure.  How do I go about
reducing the Latency figure ?

2. Regarding Parallelize Check: (This directive is used to determine
whether or not the service check can be parallelized. By default, all
service checks are parallelized. Disabling parallel checks of services
can result in serious performance problems.)

>From what I can understand, Parallelize check means that if I have a
Service check configured to run every 3 minutes, and Nagios determines
that even though the previous check launched 3 mins ago has still not
finished it launches a new check !? Am I correct in this assumption ? If
yes, how can Disabling this result in performance problems ? shouldn't
it be viceversa ?

3. Finally, In a service configuration file, I have the following:

Maximum Check Attempts:  5

Normal Check Interval In Time-Units: 5

Retry Check Interval In Time-Units: 3

In the above, Shouldn't  the Normal Check Interval be Greater than
Maximum Check Attempts  *  Retry Check Interval  ?

TIA,

sg

CAUTION: This e-mail and any attachment(s) contains information that
is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s). It may contain
information that is confidential, proprietary or the subject of legal
privilege. This information is not to be used by any other person
and/or organisation. If you are not the intended recipient, please
advise us immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Do not
use any information contained in it.

online at http://www.tvnz.co.nz