Nagios proposal

Mike M saetaes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 21:07:46 CEST 2006

> > Unfortunately, my UNIX technical skills are almost nothing.
>
> Then I advise you to hire someone who is more skillfull to help you setup
> that part. Make sure (s)he is familiar with the OS, setting up apache and
> the other requirements.

I would agree with Hugo that managing and tuning the OS and its
related parts are much more difficult than managing Nagios.  I would
recommend finding someone well-versed in *NIX to get the environment
set up before you tackle Nagios.  Also, you will need to be
comfortable editing text files instead of a nice GUI like those
Microsoft provides.

> > I need the best way to start with Nagios (technically). Can any body
> > give me a hand?
>
> Please read the manual (http://www.nagios.org/docs/) before you even begin
> to install.

Again, Hugo is correct.  If you thoroughly read the manual and follow
it step-by-step, then you will have a fully-functioning Nagios
installation in a few hours.  Take your time and document the steps
you perform.  The Nagios documention is excellent and should answer
many of your questions.

I do, however, think you are looking in the right place.  The open
source community is usually very good about answering questions, even
those from beginners, so long as they are well-thought-out and not
answered previously (i.e. within a mailing list archive, FAQ, or
product documentation).

Good luck,

Mike