Nagios proposal

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Apr 16 11:00:31 CEST 2006

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Yazeed Ghandour wrote:

> I do assume that most of u are expert in such software's (Nagios).

Given the questions posted here I sometimes have serious doubts ;-)
(That's all questions in general. Not just yours.)

I think the impact of people having to translate their thoughts to English
adds to the confusion. While reasonable versed in English it is not my
native language and I make the occasional error of interpreting it
incorrectly. And Dutch and English are relative closely related languages.

> Unfortunately, my UNIX technical skills are almost nothing.

Then I advise you to hire someone who is more skillfull to help you setup
that part. Make sure (s)he is familiar with the OS, setting up apache and
the other requirements.

> I need the best way to start with Nagios (technically). Can any body
> give me a hand?

Please read the manual (http://www.nagios.org/docs/) before you even begin
to install.

> Note: I am already familiar with HP openview.

Which is unfortunatly not much of a help. I think you can hire someone to
do a good setup for less then 25% of the costs of HPOV. But that is just
my opinion on HPOV.

> One final thing, what about the costs, is it for free, what about the
> platform, is it for free.

You mean hardware? I don't think so. If you mean the OS then you can pick
whatever OS you like and is supported. I made the choice for XOS linux
based on almost 10 experience with Red Hat but the big pricetag attached
to RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) drove me away. Knowing the XOS company
a bit also helped in this as I tested some other RHEL clones as well.

But if you can get support on another supported Linux or Unix platform
then most definitly go with whatever you can get local support for.
Support in your native language is a big plus if you can get it.

> Sorry for these beginner question, but really I want to prepare complete
> technical proposal for the above mentioned proposal including the
> monitoring issues.

Please print the manual. Find a place where you feel comfortable and read
it. It will be a real good investment of your time. Once you have read
through the manual you still may have questions but by that time you can
send off less generic questions and who ever answers your questions can be
more specific.

Hugo.