HOST dependencies

Jan Tomasek jan at tomasek.cz
Fri Apr 14 08:18:04 CEST 2006

Hi,

Andreaco wrote:
> ok tu use check_dummy for HOSTs or disable checks at all,
> the problem is that the host's colour remain green when unrecheable.

Well that is what I decided to live with. For my point view is service
PING and host check is duplicated. Personaly I think that you can say
that host is dead by any remote testing method. It might be alive and
only it's network card might be dead ;) But users do not care... dead
netcard or power lost service is not working...

> I find a workaroud for it.
> [...]
>         check_command
> check-host-macro!$SERVICESTATE:linuxbox1:check_ping$!$SERVICEDURATION:linuxbox1:check_ping$
> [...]
> define command{
>         command_name    check-host-macro
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_host_macro.sh $ARG1$ $ARG2$
>         }
>
> The script check_host_macro.sh outputs "exit 2" only when service check_ping
> is CRITICAL and its SERVICEDURATION is greater than 10 minutes.
>
> In this case HOSTS become red when check_ping notifications are already
> sent.

WOW! This very nice! I didn't know that trick. Thanks for learning me :)

> I hope there's a shorter way to obtain the same...

Do you know about event handlers? Maybe you can set host only for
passive check and you can send from PING's service event handler pasive
checks that host is alive/dead. This will reduce some delay due nagios
check sheduling but I like your way more.

Best regards
--
Jan Tomasek aka Semik