HOST dependencies

Andreaco andreaco at email.it
Thu Apr 13 19:02:58 CEST 2006

Hi,
ok tu use check_dummy for HOSTs or disable checks at all,
the problem is that the host's colour remain green when unrecheable.
I find a workaroud for it.
I define host like this:

define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               linuxbox1
        alias                   linuxbox1
        address                 192.168.120.1
        check_command
check-host-macro!$SERVICESTATE:linuxbox1:check_ping$!$SERVICEDURATION:linuxbox1:check_ping$
        max_check_attempts      1
        contact_groups          mycontact
        notification_interval   0
        notification_period     none
        notification_options    n
        }

Then I defined the command check-host-macro like this:

define command{
        command_name    check-host-macro
        command_line    $USER1$/check_host_macro.sh $ARG1$ $ARG2$
        }

The script check_host_macro.sh outputs "exit 2" only when service check_ping
is CRITICAL and its SERVICEDURATION is greater than 10 minutes.

In this case HOSTS become red when check_ping notifications are already
sent.

I hope there's a shorter way to obtain the same...

Bye,
Andrea

> Hi Andrea,
>
> > Why any "check ping" services depend to the HOSTs STATUS?
> > I need that "check ping" services send notifications in case HOST
> > unrecheable.
> > How can I break this dependency ?
>
> any service depends on host it is running on. I disabled all hosts
> checks it by defining check_command = host-is-alive on every host:
>
> define command{
>         command_name    host-is-alive
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H 127.0.0.1 -w 3000.0,80% -c
> 5000.0,100% -p 1
>         }
>
> Later I learned that there is also check_dummy plugin which better
> suited for this.
>
> Best regards
> --
> Jan Tomasek aka Semik