Running availability reports automatically

Peter Farrell peter.d.farrell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:33:11 CEST 2006

Yeah - I've tried the wget method and it's just messy... not really
suitable for output into client-side reporting.
Essentially you've got to beat it out of Nagios, then format it again
so it's usable?
There is no 'easy way' as it stands now right?
[peter at server]$ wget --save-cookie cookies
https://peter:password@server.example.com/nagios/cgi-bin/avail.cgi?show_log_entries=&host=honda&service=check_orbit_login&timeperiod=thismonth'
| mail peter.farrell at example.com
--16:50:24--  https://peter:*password*@server.example.com/nagios/cgi-bin/avail.cgi?show_log_entries=&host=honda&service=check_orbit_login&timeperiod=thismonth
           => `avail.cgi?show_log_entries=&host=honda&service=check_orbit_login&timeperiod=thismonth'
Resolving server.example.com... 192.168.100.100
Connecting to server.example.com[192.168.100.100]:443... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]

    [  <=>
              ] 10,383         4.79K/s

16:50:27 (4.79 KB/s) -
`avail.cgi?show_log_entries=&host=honda&service=check_orbit_login&timeperiod=thismonth'
saved [10383]

No message, no subject; hope that's ok
I've tried several permutations of this and they are all cantankerous.
Although sed and awk are also my friends, spending all my time with
them is a bit of a downer... isn't there something that exist now to
allow users pull data out for their reports without pestering the
sysadmin everytime they want the data manipulated?
(I've just been asked to start thinking about a solution for someone,
and 'no - I haven't googled it yet')

-Peter