Simple Question, UNREACHABLE vs DOWN

Steven Coutts scoutts at bcs.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 15:49:37 CEST 2005

(Top posting error corrected!)

Pete Dewell wrote:
> I agree with the down definition, but I've always thought of
> unreachable as :
>
> Unreachable is when the parent of a host is down. e.g. if host1 is
> down, then any hosts that have host1 as a parent will be marked as
> unreachable, since Nagios cannot connect to those hosts to check them.
>
> Pete Dewell
Ah I see, pretty obvious really!

Makes sense from my stats, expect one anomaly. One of my switches went
down, this switch has three other switches hanging off it (all three
have the correct parent set in my config) but only two have been marked
as being unreachable for that period!!

Thanks

--
Steven Coutts B.Sc.(Hons) MBCS