Monitoring Windows Servers with Nagios

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Wed Sep 28 03:05:07 CEST 2005

Hi Pavel,

Pavel Santos wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I’m running Nagios 2.0b4 on FC4.  What is the best way to monitor
> Windows Server for Disk, Memory and CPU usage?

Well, 'best' is variable depending on your situation/infrastructure:

Are the servers on a trusted network? i.e. do you need to encrypt the
information between your Nagios server and the Windows servers?

Visit www.nagiosexchange.com for any of a number of ways of monitoring
the attributes you speak of. I can see SNMP, Cygwin ports, NC_Net,
NRPE_NT and NSClient/++.

SNMP - you will need SNMP installed on your Windows hosts
Cygwin ports - you will need a communications channel like SSH and the
Cygwin .dll on the Windows hosts
NC_Net - I haven't used it
NRPE_NT - I haven't used it
NSClient - client that resides on your Windows hosts
NSCLient/++ - I haven't used it

Read and learn and decide which method is best for your
security/situation/budget/experience etc etc

--
Greg Vickers
Project Manager, IT Security

Phone: (07) 3864 9536