“check_procs “ giving the same waring and critical numbers for different PC

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 27 14:41:36 CEST 2005

John Joseph wrote:
> Hi all
>        I had observer that , I am getting the same ,
> warning and critical numbers but different  no of
> processes   for different host  checked
>  The command definition I have
> # 'check_procs_CPU' command definition 37
> define command{
>         command_name
> check_procs_CPU
>         command_line
> $USER1$/check_procs -w 10 -c 20 --metric=CPU
> }
>
> # 'check_procs_morethank' command definition 38
> define command{
>         command_name
> check_procs_morethank
>         command_line
> $USER1$/check_procs -w 50000 -c 100000 --metric=VSZ
> }
>
>    I get 3 crit, 2 warn out  for all the Machines
> checked so far , “”but with different no of “process”
> “”

First off, I believe check_procs report the number of processes matching
the various different criteria. --metric=VSZ reports the virtual size of
a process (physical ram + swap memory used). --metric=CPU measures cpu
time (I think), so that would be another set of processes.

Second off (??), processes aren't usually constant. Each login over ssh,
for instance, generally spawns at least two new processes (one instance
of sshd, one instance of the shell).

>    since this command  does not have option of
> specifying the host , I assume the host detail
> parameter is passed on by the nagios

You assume too much. The "local" plugins (check_disk, check_users,
check_procs, check_load and friends) need to reside on the host you want
to monitor. There are several methods of executing the checks on the
remote host; NRPE, SSH, NSCA or any of a plethora of other methods.

This also explains why you're seeing a different number of processes.
Nagios fires up quite a lot of them in its normal course. It'd be weird
if the measurements stayed the same for any extended period of time.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer