What I am doing wrong with version 2.01b

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Sep 26 19:06:17 CEST 2005

-v is just to verify your config files and then exit. To run in daemon
mode you need to use -d or the init script. Running -v to check your
config files is good practice however and will catch configuration
errors like the one below.

> but got the following error
>
> Nagios 2.0b1
> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org
> <mailto:nagios at nagios.org> )
> Last Modified: 12-15-2005
> License: GPL
>
> Reading configuration data...
>
> Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive 'contact_groups'.
> Error: Could not add object property in file
> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg' on line 5.
>
> ***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
> files...
>
>      Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain
valid
>      directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a
previous
>      version of Nagios, you should be aware that some
> variables/definitions
>      may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to
read
>      the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
>      'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.
>

> My hostgroup.cfg file is shown below
>
> # 'novell-servers' host group definition
> define hostgroup{
>         hostgroup_name  database-servers
>         alias           Novell Servers
>         contact_groups  datacenter-admins
>         members         excellence
>         }

> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

The contact_groups directive is no longer supported in a hostgroup
definition.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/whatsnew.html, #2
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#hostgroup
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#host

>From previous posts it appears that you may be upgrading from 1.2 to
2.x. If that is the case there are several other things you'll probably
want to look at detailed in the changelog. Also, 2.0b1 is old. If you're
going to run the beta you should use the latest (2.0b4).

--
Marc