Who is maintaining NRPE?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Sep 26 11:23:03 CEST 2005

Ton Voon wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2005, at 21:41, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> Ton Voon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>> Just wondering who is currently maintaining NRPE?
>>>

>> That'd be me. I'm not doing a very good job of advertising the
>> releases, but 2.2 is available (whenever my ISP isn't doing  something
>> incompetent) at http://oss.op5.se/nagios. I haven't had  time to do
>> much other than making it a fair bit portable yet,  although I'm
>> working on it.
>

> Thanks. You should do more promotion so that it becomes the "default"
> version, rather than the 2.0 one.
>
> However, am I right in saying that the CVS repository for NRPE 2.2 is
> on your own servers?

Yes.

> If so, I don't think this is in the spirit of
> openess. Can I suggest that you use Sourceforge to host the NRPE  code?

You can suggest it, but it won't happen. The sourceforge CVS is near
enough impossible to work with from sweden, due to a 400ms latency.

I can set them up for public access on oss.op5.se though.

> This way the changes made are clear to the community.
>
> In fact, I notice there is a NRPE project on SF: http://
> sourceforge.net/projects/nrpe. Looks like it was setup by Ethan and
> includes yourself as a developer. Maybe this is the best place to  house
> the main code.
>

>>> I've dropped an  email to Ethan Galstad but haven't received a
>>> reply. I seem to recall  that NRPE was split off to a separate  team
>>> some time ago.
>>> We've made a few tweaks to the configure script so that NRPE 2.0
>>> now  compiles on Tru64 and Irix "out of the box". The patch is
>>> below. It  requires autoconf to regenerate the new configure script.
>>>

>> It would be very helpful if you could make the patch apply cleanly  to
>> the 2.2 sources, unless one of the portability fixes I've  already
>> made sorts it out.
>

> Initial configure on Irix and Tru64 fails. I'll look into it and get
> back to you.

If openssl isn't installed, it requires the --disable-ssl switch. I'm
not too good with autoconf stuff, but I'll try and fix it as soon as I
get some spare time on my hands.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer