I am not getting notified

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Sep 23 22:43:35 CEST 2005

Sending these directly to me isn't necessary/appropriate.

That's a good thing and shows that Nagios is at least trying to execute
your notification command. Do you see a corresponding entry in your mail
logs? Is your MTA running and processing its queue? Are your disks full
again perhaps?

> I have the following config in my
>
> misccommands.cfg
>
> # 'host-notify-by-email' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    host-notify-by-email
>         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
> *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost:
$HOSTNAME$\nState:
> $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
> $DATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!"
> $CONTACTEMAIL$
>         }

The above notification attempt is a service notification, not a host
notification. The host-notify-by-email command above isn't used in this
case. What does your notify-by-email command look like? That's what
you've specified in the contact definition below for
service_notification_commands. Make sure you can run it from the command
line exactly as it's defined, as nagios, substituting in appropriate
values for the macros.

> contacts.cfg
>
> define contact{
>         contact_name                    Efe
>         alias                           Nagios Admin
>         service_notification_period     24x7
>         host_notification_period        24x7
>         service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
>         host_notification_options       d,u,r
> #        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email,
notify-by-epager
> #        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email, host-
> notify-by-epager
>          service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
>          host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
>        email                           eohimor at ipnxnigeria.net
> <mailto:eohimor at ipnxnigeria.net>
> #       pager                           08028364123
>         }
>

>     hosts.cfg
>
> define host{

[chop host definitions]

Host definitions aren't pertinent in this case since it's a service
you're not receiving a notification for.

--
Marc