No Notification email

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 20 16:38:56 CEST 2005

The mailx man page doesn't specifically detail this and I don't have
access to it to test but does mailx properly parse multiple space
separated e-mail addresses when passed on the command line? mail does so
I would imagine mailx does as well since they are very similar but just
in case... You might try comma separated instead.

> hosts.cfg
> define host{
>         use                     generic-host
>         host_name               1 NFS05
>         address                 10.160.2.5
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         max_check_attempts      10
>         notification_interval   120
>         notification_period     24x7
>         notification_options    d,r
>         contact_groups          admins
>         }

You don't have notifications_enabled specified. Is it part of the
generic-host template? Nagios won't send notifications without it.

> services.cfg
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ;
>             host_name                       2 P4FTPPROD
>         service_description             Disk Usage
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              4
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                 admins
>         notification_interval           960
>         notification_period             24x7
>         check_command
check_remote_disk!rsh!ftp09!95!97

Same here. notifications_enabled must be specified in the definition or
the template.

> When the it triggers the warning or even the critical, no notification
> is sent.

Do you see a notification attempt in nagios.log? That'll help determine
if the problem is with the host/service definitions, the notification
command or your MTA. If you see a notification attempt in nagios.log,
what can you find in your MTA logs?

> sending mail manually work, by the way..

Since it's commonly overlooked, did you perform this test as the nagios
user? That will eliminate any user specific permissions issues.

> commands.cfg
>
> define command{
>         command_name    notify-by-email
>         command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** AMKOR MONITORING
> SERVER *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
> $SERVICEDESC$\nH
> ost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
> $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional
> Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mailx -s "** $
> NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$
> **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
>         }

Did you perform your test using this exact command, substituting in the
appropriate $...$ values? That will eliminate any possible parsing
problems.

Finally, if you use state retention for these hosts and services Nagios
may be remembering a previous configuration when notification might have
been disabled. If you did have notifications disabled at one point and
have re-enabled them you may be caught by this. If that might be
pertinent, see the Retention Notes at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html.

--
Marc