Questions for research

CC Yuen ccyuen at hkcert.org
Tue Sep 20 08:35:29 CEST 2005

Dear all expert,

I am doing research for my company for nagios, some questions that I
can't find on the webpage, hope can get help in here, thanks a lot!!!

1. Does it only support SNMP for the monitoring method? Or I can setup
a monitor method by other ways (e.g. TCP based -- manual assign a port
number, or ICMP function e.g. send hello message to some service)

2. Does it has any functions that designed for IDS machine?

3. Can I fully access it (admin, view report... etc) by web page? How
about if I want to access through https?

4. Does anyone use it to monitor some IP based device (not a server or
service, e.g. a KVM device which has an IP number)

5. How about the report? Can I have a real time report for all
monitors? Can I assign time/dat/week/month based to get the historical
report? And can I set a schedule to auto gen a historical report?

6. Besides general alert functions (email, sound and popup message), I
saw it can support SMS, pager and IM to send alert. Do I need to
install some additional stuffs (something like API) if I want the SMS
and pager alert? if not, how to do that?

7. Can I create different user which has different access rights to
access Nagios?

8. If I want to export the report, what kind of file format can be export?

These questions really really make me cross, hope some expect can give
me help~~

Thanks
Chung