odd permissions problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Sep 19 21:19:59 CEST 2005

These look correct. It looks like you're using Nagios 2.x which
introduced a config cache file that is read by the CGI's instead of the
cfg_file's. Is the cache file (object_cache_file in nagios.cfg) being
re-created when you restart nagios? If the nagios daemon is aware of an
object via the cfg_file's, and therefore shows it in the scheduling
queue, but the cgi's aren't because it doesn't appear in the object
cache you might see the symptoms you're reporting. This may happen if
permissions on the object cache file are such that nagios can't delete
or overwrite it. I would expect nagios to fail in that situation but it
may not. With 1.x I've always seen these associated with configuration
problems or permissions issues but the object cache may introduce a new
scenario. I'm not sure and I don't have 2.x installation to test with
yet but it seems like the next logical step to me.

--
Marc

adjustments to
> 	> services.cfg and other cfg files and restart nagios without
issue.
> 	>
> 	> Until I added a new host. I created thenew host and added it
> the
> 	> appropriate host group. The new host appears perfectly in the
> 	> scheduling
> 	> cue. The problem is it will not appear in host group overview
and
> when
> 	> I
> 	> click on it I get the "It appears as though you do not have
> permission
> 	> to view information for this host...". I am logging in as the
only
> 	> user
> 	> thats been entered "nagiosadmin" and have set that user for
all of
> the
> 	> access permissions in cgi.cfg . I also made sure the
nagiosadmin
> is
> 	> listed as the contact for all host groups. I can access
everything
> 	> else
> 	> without problems just this one newly added host.
>
> 	I'd check for configuration errors with '/path/to/nagios -v
> 	/path/to/nagios.cfg', typos and also look for permission
problems on