[OT] FW: ITNG: Re your email - RE: Nagios + Postgresql

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Sep 16 17:43:26 CEST 2005

support at itng.com.au
> or call our Support Line on 02 9212 0811.
>
> For more information on our services please visit our website:
> http://www.itng.com.au/

The fact that I am receiving one of these for every post I make to the
list and will apparently continue to receive them until the 18th of
October has earned you a /dev/null. That's very inconsiderate of you.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt, 3.1.1 General Guidelines for
mailing lists and NetNews

    - Consider unsubscribing or setting a "nomail" option (when it's
      available) when you cannot check your mail for an extended
      period.

    - Delivery receipts, non-delivery notices, and vacation programs
      are neither totally standardized nor totally reliable across the
      range of systems connected to Internet mail.  They are invasive
      when sent to mailing lists, and some people consider delivery
      receipts an invasion of privacy.  In short, do not use them.

>  <http://www.itng.com.au/> 	 Inder Singh
[13 line .sig removed]

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt, 2.1.1 For mail:

    - If you include a signature keep it short.  Rule of thumb
      is no longer than 4 lines.  Remember that many people pay for
      connectivity by the minute, and the longer your message is,
      the more they pay.

Please, the general expectation, at least for me, is that you are
technical or at least semi-technical users. When you leave the office,
if you choose to or must use a vacation program, please configure it to
ignore any listservs you are on or temporarily disable delivery from
those listservs until you return. This seems to be a growing problem as
non-netiquette aware users join the list and it would be nice if we
could stop it before it becomes acceptable practice.

If you have the time, a (re-)read of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
might be informative to some. It's from 1995 but it's no less valid
today.

--
Marc