SV: Simple windows client

Johan Barelds mailings at good-it.com
Fri Sep 16 07:48:58 CEST 2005

Op vrijdag 16 september 2005 01:05, schreef u:
> Right on the spot! I've been thinking about this as well.
Good to hear that i am not the only one..:-)

> There must be many people monitoring Windows hosts?
> Sad but true, that is all that I monitor right now, and it's all done with
> simple NSClient stuff so there is nothing special about that.
>
> It seems to me that the most competent Windows monitor agent today is
> NRPE_NT but I can't say for sure cause I haven't looked into it as deep as
> I need to. NRPE_NT needs some heavy scripts and configuration to do wonders
> as I understand.
Quit true.

> Any good scripts or ideas are welcome.
There are actually some good ones on nagiosexchange.

> One way to accomplish what you're asking for is to collect all stuff
> different people are using and then select the most useful stuff and
> finally get the stuff together in one neat Windows monitor package. This
> can easily be done with something as simple as a batch file.
>
> I can volonteer for the latter if you who reads this can send me your
> scripts and configuration. Just specify what does what and I believe I can
> figure out the rest.
That's also a good idea;
Collect all the stuff there is and put some sort of
quality/standardisation-check over it and make ou own distro.

The drawback is that it is still some sort of sub-optimalisation of existing
stuff.
I still miss the straightforward gui, the intuitive, dummy proof
configuration, the single produced config file which could be distributed
quit easy etc. which one could achieve if you build the client from scratch.

I suggest we keep it as an second option in case no programmer volunteers for
building the new client.
Maybe a forward of this thread to the Nagios developers mailinglist will help.

> I will follow this thread with great interest.
You'r the only one so far..:-)
I hope there are some more interested folks.

> Best regards,
> Sebastian Bergstroem
> SWEDEN

Grz. Johan