Nagios plugin to copy large text files

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Sep 14 23:14:10 CEST 2005

Nagios is not a file management application. NRPE isn't designed to copy
files between hosts. Both are designed solely to execute plugins that
return one line of text and exit with the proper exit code. Instead of
framing your problem to us only as solutions you think might work, why
don't you try to explain what you're trying to accomplish in more
detail. Something like 'I am trying to use nagios to
check|detect|verify|other specific words|phrases|problems in specific
logs|files|other on localhost|other hosts that I can reach by
ssh|snmp|nrpe|other.' The more detail the better. That way, none of us
are constrained by preconceptions. If your final intent is to simply
copy log files from one host to another as you state, nagios is not the
solution. Remote syslog, scp, rsync, ftp, wget and possibly CFEngine are
better suited to that task.

--
Marc