Multiple notification_interval settings for th e same service defi nition

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Sep 14 17:16:56 CEST 2005

Sorry, for haunting you back.

But service escalations don't quite seem to be an elegant remedy.

This may be due to a misapprehension of the subject I still
suffer from after having read the
parts in the doc that cover service escalations.

Because I would need to run two different event_handlers
(viz. one to file a trouble ticket at a high escalation level
only once,
and one to send out repeated nagging email notifications to
admins or some other poor buggers),
this also meant I would have to (re)introduce another couple of
hundred service definitions
that only would differ in their service_description to be
referenced accordingly by
their respective serviceescalation definition.

This looks prohibitive a prospect to me.

Unless there was a possibility to implement a case distinction
(e.g. maybe through some macro variable like $SERVICEATTEMPT$),
sort of polymorphism, by which the called event_handler would
decide
which incarnation to execute at run time.
(I think the OO folks call it late binding?)

Can one fumble up something like that,
or am I completely off the track?

B8B5