Notification of volatile acknowledged services

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Fri Sep 9 17:56:37 CEST 2005

Greetings!

We are using Nagios as our central management software and it will be
receiving messages from a couple of other software packages. Ever node
is more or less monitored using both Nagios and (at least) SolarWinds.
When SolarWinds detects a problem, such as a full hard disk, it sends an
generates an alert which sends a message to the Nagios machine via
send_nsca. This should then send out an SMS.

Rather than having to create separate services for each node, we have
created a generic service "Send SMS" and defined it as volatile. So each
time the SolarWinds machine sends an alert, the Nagios machine should
send an SMS. It seems that no SMS is sent if the state has been
acknowledged. On the one had this makes sense. If the condition is being
"worked on", then there is no need to send an SMS. However, we would
like an SMS sent every time.

The first question is whether or not I have interpreted it correctly
that the acknowledgement disables the notification. I looked through the
"Notifications" page in the Nagios doc, but did not find anything that
mentions this.

The second question is whether anyone has an idea how we can simply get
Nagios to pump through the notifications, regardless of the state of the
services. I had thought about creating something for the Event Broker,
but that seems like a bit too extreme.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr