Suggestions for alerts

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu Sep 8 09:29:11 CEST 2005

Hi Xavier,

as an experienced Nagios user (unlike me) you probably know
already that
the contents and formatting of your alert notifications is
entirely up to
you, and that you can easily change predefined notification
command definitions
or add your own.

With my configuration for example those are defined in
NAGIOS_ROOT/etc/misccommands.cfg,
and they are referenced in the various host and service
definitions by the event_handler
attribute.
For more descriptive or "polite" message texts you can spice them
up with the abundance
of preset host and service macros or even your own user defined
macros.
Just have a dekko at your own config files to get an idea.

Regards
Ralph

Xavier
> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:55 AM
> To: Nagios Users
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Suggestions for alerts
>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to explain a "people"" problem I'm facing with...
> I'm using Nagios to monitor the whole IT platform inside my
company.
> Works perfectly but... (there is always a "but..." ;-)
>
> Some engineers who receive alerts (sms or mail) would like to
> receive more "friendly" messages.
>
> Ex: instead of "swb.bru is down", they would like to receive
> "Master switch @ Colo down, BLES problem? Call +1 xxxxxx"
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Xavier
> --
> "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
> - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

EXPO