Questions Galore

Dale Blount nagios-list at dale.us
Wed Sep 7 22:35:37 CEST 2005

Hey Guys,

I'm finally finishing up my Nagios installation and have a few questions
that I haven't been able to find good answers to.

1) I have one host that has a bad mobo/NIC/driver or something that
times out every so often.  The box is going away soon so I don't really
care to fix it, however almost every time this box, another certain
hosts SMTP service goes offline as well.  Could this be caused by
Nagios' scheduling order (same host always goes down with it) or do I
just have a genuine network problem?

2) I have a couple contacts with pager address defined, but not all host
groups they belong to should send pages.  Should I make this person two
contacts - user-email and user-page?  Add both of them to hosts groups
where they should get paged or is there a cleaner solution.

3) Does anyone have a good way to get alerts to AIM addresses?
Everything I can find is incomplete.

4) Every so often I get hosts which are physically unreachable.
check_ping however, just times out at the -t X setting instead of
reporting unreachable.  Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help,

Dale