Nagios Installation problem

tha syndicate thasyndicate at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 21:58:33 CEST 2005

Having a problem installing Nagios 1.2 on Fedora Core
4. I'm following the documention step by step in the
documentation on Nagios site. When I get to the step
to run /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg to check my config
file. I get the following feedback:

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad
(nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Unexpected token or statement in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg' on line 19.

***> One or more problems was encountered while
processing the config files...

Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they
contain valid
directives and data defintions. If you are upgrading
from a previous
version of Nagios, you should be aware that some
variables/definitions
may have been removed or modified in this version.
Make sure to read
the HTML documentation on the main and host config
files, as well as the
'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

Line #19 in my config file is:

log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log

The log file is in the correct place so it does exist,
I don't know what else to check for. Then, if I
comment out that line in the config file, it just
stops at the next line\file that's not commented out
(cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg) and
gives me the same message, then if I comment that line
out, its stops at the next line\file that's not
commented and gives me the same thing.....so it looks
as though its going to see some sort of issue with
every single uncommented line in the config file for
some reason.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong???

Also.....

persmissions on the log file are:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios nagios 876 Aug 29 15:26 nagios.log

and permissions from the next file I stated in the
original post is:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4475 Aug 30 14:58
checkcommands.cfg

Haven't checked the rest of the uncommented files
permission since I'm not sure it's even an issue.

After I run the command no additional info is posted
in /var/log/messages

Thanks,

Jimmy