Nagios Vs MOM

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 28 10:59:10 CEST 2005

Please don't top-post. It's terribly annoying.

Emmett Keyser wrote:
> I apologize to the list for this but I just want to say something....
>
> I don't think he was asking for opinions on his work environment. Not
> all of us are so lucky to have the ideal work environment. I for one
> thought it was a good question; something I've wondered about myself.
> I've been following this list for about four months now and think it's
> a great source of information. But do we really need opinions of the
> people we work for/with? Windows isn't optimal or perfect or whatever

No system is. If they were there wouldn't be others.

> - WE GET IT. The question had to do with MOM vs. Nagios in Windows
> environments.

No, it was about differences between MOM vs Nagios in *any* environment.
It just states that MOM is obviously geared towards a windows-dominated
environment.

> I think it's a valid question. I don't think it should
> elicit a response that his boss(es) are idiots or that he should quit
> his job.

True. What I said was that Nagios' strong side is that it handles all
devices and emphasized this with the fact that no sane network have only
one kind of device/OS/whatever. There was an if() clause around that
part about stupid bosses so it doesn't necessarily apply and I didn't
tell him to quit his job. I just said that I would if I were him. My
opinions are so obviously my own that noone with a will of their own
will take actions based on them as a recommendation on how to behave.

That last sentence actually makes sense if you read it twice or so (I
think). ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se