[Web-Interface] CGI load workaround

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Oct 27 23:33:49 CEST 2005

Nagios uses a named pipe to receive external commands. Named pipes are
not supported over NFS so at best you'll end up with at read-only view
on the other hosts. We've done this in a similar fashion.

Purely speculating, it may be possible to specify a path to the command
file that is unique to each machine then write a small daemon that
creates the pipe on each machine, reads the external commands and ships
them off to the master server for insertion there. Sort of like NSCA but
for external commands. I am not aware of any work that has been done
like that though. That seems like it might be an interesting project to
enhance the scalability of Nagios.

The alternative of course is to change the way that Nagios receives
external commands to be NFS friendly. I believe there may be compelling
reasons to stick with a named pipe however.

--
Marc