Insufficient Data - Host checks

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 12:06:29 CEST 2005

G Davies wrote:

>I've read the FAQ on this and I have to confess to still being
>confused.  I have a check_http monitor running against a server that
>cannot be pinged (firewalled), the service shows as OK in the status
>pages (HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 0.113 second response time) but the
>availability reports show the status as 100% undetermined.
>
>As the service is patently up I can't get my head round why it shows
>as undetermined, if someone can explain it in words of one syllable I
>would appreciate it.

I'll take a shot at this:

Your host is unable to be pinged, but has a service running, yes?  AKA
webserver behind a firewall, or a VIP/LoadBalanced webserver etc?

It could be that the server being unreachable is affecting the
availability graphs..

I have similar checks, and the solution was to create a host template
which did not run a check-host-alive check at all, so that the host was
always marked as up, and there were only service checks, never a ping check.

Alternatively, you could set the check_command as a check_dummy plugin
which always returns OK

For example   (hosts.cfg)
--------------------------
define host {
    use                            generic-host
    name                           TEMPLATE_host_noping
#   check_command                  check-host-alive
    max_check_attempts             3
    notification_interval          120        ; reocurring intervals
    notification_period            24x7
    notification_options           d,u,r,f
    contact_groups                 admins
    register                       0