Notifications or host checks stopped working

Andrew Laden Andrew.Laden at tudor.com
Wed Oct 19 15:55:14 CEST 2005

> Nagios should increment notification number at every
> notification attempt, even though it's blocked by
> timeperiods. It should also up the notification number even
> if no notifications are being sent due to
> notification_options and suchlike. This is because of
> escalations. If it doesn't it's a bug and should be weathered
> at the nagios-devel@ list, where patches and such can be
> discussed without people accidentally mistaking them for
> configuration files.

Since I am not on that list (and have no desire to get into the inner
workings of nagios development) Can you do me a favor and transition this
over to there?

> > Sometimes you can have serivces that are out of band that
> may be monitored.
> > Ie. I want to monitor the console connection to the host,
> which is out
> > of band. That connection may stay up, even though the
> network may go
> > down and all meaningful services go down. I would want the
> host to be
> > unreachable, even though the console service may still be
> up, else I
> > will get lots of notifications that I don't need.
> >

> The traditional solution to this problem is to create two
> hosts - one for each physical route to the host. Then it's
> just a matter of configuring the correct services for each host.

Traditional, but counterintuitive. The console is part of the host. To have
to treat it as a separate host object, aside from doubling the number of
hosts, adds complexity in that the console errors are no longer attached to
the host they came from. I have to double all my work. Assign contacts
twice. Schedule downtime twice, etc.