Notifications or host checks stopped working

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 19 15:37:03 CEST 2005

Andrew Laden wrote:
> I was thinking about it a bit more, and yup, its hard to think of a use for
> a notification interval with no notification, other then the first (which is
> where I am having the problem of course) that can't be done with suitable
> settings in escalations, as long as you have the notification interval in
> the host or service definition set higher then any escalation interval.
> Unless you are dealing with timeperiods as well. I.e. an escalation that is
> only valid during certain time periods (only escalate to the operations
> center if it is running hours) in which case, you could have an escalation
> defined with a valid group, but the filters kick in at the contactgroup
> settings, stopping notification. Not sure how nagios would behave, if it
> would increment the Notification Number.

Nagios should increment notification number at every notification
attempt, even though it's blocked by timeperiods. It should also up the
notification number even if no notifications are being sent due to
notification_options and suchlike. This is because of escalations. If it
doesn't it's a bug and should be weathered at the nagios-devel@ list,
where patches and such can be discussed without people accidentally
mistaking them for configuration files.

> As for the second. Yup, a host that was unreachable that gets an ok service
> becomes reachable. There is no way to set is back to unreachable if the
> service that was ok becomes critical again though. Would better logic be to
> say that if a host is down, and its parents are down, then it should be
> unreachable, regardless of its services status? Don't know. Just a question.
> Sometimes you can have serivces that are out of band that may be monitored.
> Ie. I want to monitor the console connection to the host, which is out of
> band. That connection may stay up, even though the network may go down and
> all meaningful services go down. I would want the host to be unreachable,
> even though the console service may still be up, else I will get lots of
> notifications that I don't need.

The traditional solution to this problem is to create two hosts - one
for each physical route to the host. Then it's just a matter of
configuring the correct services for each host.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se