check_dhcp

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Wed Oct 19 15:33:24 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I have a problem with the check_dhcp plugin.

When I run it from commandline as root if works fine.

[...]
# ./check_dhcp -i bge0
DHCP ok: Received 1 DHCPOFFER(s), max lease time = 3600 sec
[...]

But running from Nagios it failes:

[...]
Error: Could not bind to DHCP socket (port 68)!  Check your
privileges...
[...]

The Nagios processes are running as user "nagios".
# id nagios
uid=1001(nagios) gid=1001(nagios) groups=1001(nagios), 80(www)

Here is my checkcommands.cfg:
# 'check_dhcp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_dhcp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dhcp -i $ARG1$
        }

and my service definition:
#define service{
       host_name                       my.hostname.com
       service_description             DHCP
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              3
       normal_check_interval           3
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  sys-admins
       notification_interval           0
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_dhcp!bge0
       }

We are running Nagios Version 2.0b3 on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

thanks in advance
Richard

--
Richard Gliebe
Fachhochschule Vorarlberg GmbH / University for Applied Science

Hochschulstraße 1, A-6850 Dornbirn
Telefon +43 / (0)5572 / 792-2207
E-Mail: richard.gliebe at fhv.at