SNMP Process check

G Davies yawbea at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:53:05 CEST 2005

I'm fairly new to Nagios (ok, I installed it this morning) but I think
I've understood things correctly yet I still can't get a plugin to
work as expected.

The plugin in question monitors whether a specific process is running
on a Win2k machine using SNMP, if I run it from the command line I
get...

hostname:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# ./check_snmp_process.pl -H <IP
removed> -C <community removed> -n BRMService.exe
1 process matching BRMService.exe (> 0)

echo $? shows the return value was 0 so as far as I can see (according
to the plugin development guidelines) everything is working to spec (1
line returned, return value of 0).

However, from Nagios I get "No Output!" in the status information
field and a critical warning.  I tried the debug method suggested in
the Wiki (http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=162) and I get
the correct parameters in the log file (incidentally, there's a >>
missing from line 3 of that example script) but still nothing
returned.

Permissions on the script are the same as for all the other plugins
(check_ping is working fine on that host) and it works ok from the
command line so I have no idea what's wrong.

The relevant services.cfg fragment is below...

define service {
        name                            check_brm_process
        host_name                       <hostname removed>
        service_description             BRM Rules Monitor
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  nt-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_snmp_process!public!BRMService.exe
        register 1
}

...and here's the relevant checkservices.cfg fragment...

define command{
        command_name    check_snmp_process
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp_process.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-C $ARG1$ -n $ARG2$
}

Have I done something stupid?  As far as I can see it should all work fine.

Regards,