Question about NEB

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 18 11:55:24 CEST 2005

Hendrik Baecker wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've got a question about NEB.
>
> Are they handled by nagios like service_checks? Specially, does the
> nagios reaper waits for the NEB-module after an callback?

Calls to NEB-modules are stateful and take place in whatever thread is
appropriate. There are no pthread_create(neb_function) calls anywhere
and the neb-modules functions are in every aspect identical to in-core
functions in Nagios.

> As far as I know works nagios like this:
>
> nagios forks to execute a service check and after executing the forked
> nagios dies. After some time the nagios reaper comes to get the
> service_check results. So in this case there are two calls for one
> service check.

If by "calls" you mean neb-api calls then yes. Nagios calls it once to
tell the NEB it's about to run a service check and then once more when
the service check has been reaped.

> So if I write a NEB to get some informations with the nagios callback
> has the nagios core to have an answer from the NEB like "data
> successfully processed by NEB" or does the data has just goes through
> the neb api to the neb and that's it?

It just goes through the api and that's it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se