API questions about Nagios

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Tue Oct 18 05:04:58 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 07:51:37PM -0700, Zhan Zhaohua wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I'm a new guy of nagios, I have some API questions
> about nagios, would you please to help me.
>
> 1.I know the Snort is writed in C. Does it
> have C/C++ API?
Well, this is Nagios, not Snort. Assuming you meant Nagios, no, there
isn't any sort of C/C++/Java API. Nagios uses the standard UNIX
API, which is to say executing commands w/command line arguments
as the 'input' and reading STDOUT and the return code as the
'output'. Nagios also reads text commands through a named pipe.

The commands it executes can be in C/C++/ObjC/Fortran/Java
(may be slow due to instantiating the jvm every time)/Perl (same
kind of problem)/Python (not so bad).

The reporting aspect does have a C API, but it is not well
documented yet. It is called the 'event broker'. However it is
primarily a write-only mechanism.

-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.