Problem with Cingular TAP Gateway

Stover, Beth BStover at NorcalMutual.com
Mon Oct 17 20:31:07 CEST 2005

Thanks Scot,

My ability to send via SMTP is not impaired.  I use the TAP gateway for
sending alerts (from modem to cell) in case my Internet connection or
E-mail server go down.

I see from reading about TAP that there are two modes:  Automatic and
Manual login.  The TAP server can be configured for either.  If it's
configured for manual mode, then the user will be prompted with "ID="
which is what I'm seeing.

Looks like they changed something on the server.

Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Scot
Jenkins
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:46 AM
To: Stover, Beth
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Problem with Cingular TAP Gateway

On 10/14/05, Stover, Beth <BStover at norcalmutual.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Nagios ver 1 to send SMS text pages to my cell
> through a Cingular TAP gateway since April. The number I'm using:
>
> (408)961-2819
>
> A few weeks ago, my SMS alerts stopped working through the TAP
> gateway.  All other alerts are working fine.
>
> Is anyone else having a problem with the Cingular TAP gateway????

A few years ago I had been using qpage and an 800# to send messages to
my AT&T cell phone (eg, actual paging, not email).  The line quit
working about 2 years ago.  I suspect someone at AT&T started paying
attention to those 800# bills.  I've been just emailing my phone since
then.  AT&T wireless is now Cingular in case you missed it.

You might try just emailing to cellnumber at mymmode.com to see if that
works. Or try some of the paging numbers linked under "resources" on the
bottom of this page:

http://thinkunix.net/docs/monitoring/qpage.html

Scot

reporting any issue.