Possible bug - host notifications

Hendrik Baecker b00mer at gmx.net
Sun Oct 16 20:43:40 CEST 2005

Hi John,

it might be incorrect, that you're getting notifications after only one
host_check. I hope, that your central Server has the max_attempt for
your hosts even above "1", if your central Server is your notification
sending one...

But let me tell you, that it is a realy bad idea to just do host
checking on your systems. Every host check will be a high priority check
in Nagios working queue, every other check will be hold on until the
host check is finished.

Read here:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/checkscheduling.html#host_checks

Why don't you just create a service like "ICMP" for each of your hosts
with check_command = check_icmp?

Yes, I know, it sounds like double checking with these pings, but it's
the best for your performance.

It should be performance rule #1: Do everything to avoid host checks ;)

Greets
Hendrik