Max number of services that can be monitored ?

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz misc at viceconsulting.co.nz
Wed Oct 12 23:21:38 CEST 2005

Hi Rob,

> What are the standard checks you are doing? There may be alternate
> plugins to do the same job that are more efficient. Have you installed
> the nagios-plugins pack?

Yeah I have installed nagios-plugins on all monitored hosts.  They are
being invoked via check_nrpe from the Nagios server.  The plugins being
run via check_nrpe on the hosts are (C binaries unless otherwise
specified):

check_procs (to see if a specific process is running)
check_load
shell script wrapped around sar for CPU % usage (system/user/nice/iowait)
check_disk
check_memory
shell_script to determine number of file descriptors in use
shell_script wrapped around free -m
check_procs --metric=VSZ
check_procs (make sure there are not excessive # of procs running)
check_swap
check_procs (check for zombies)
check_users

Network checks run from the Nagios server against the host:

check_ssh
check_ntp (perl)
check_tcp (see if nrpe is responding on host)

> Lets see.. Every 5 minutes you check 60 hosts, so thats 60 times you
> invoke the perl interpereter.. even if it's cached, its still lots of
> extra processing that could be done more elegantly if you compiled in
> the perl interpereter with the nagios daemon.

I agree it could be done more elegantly, I will try disabling NTP check to
see if that makes a difference.

> >With embedded Perl enabled, I was getting memory leaks which was
> >eventually crashing the Nagios server so I disabled it.
> >

> Which version of perl, and what platform? x86? sparc?
>
> Older versions of perl (pre 5.6) had some problems being compiled in to
> apps such as mod_perl and stuff, but 5.6.1 or above "should" be fine.
>
> Memory leaks in Solaris wouldn't surprise me, but any of the Linuxes or
> BSD's would..  I'm runing Solaris 8 Sparc with Perl 5.6.1 builtin
> without any known leaks..

perl 5.8.0 on redhat es 3 update 5 x86... My memory was decreasing over
time crashing the server, at my end, disabling embedded perl seemed to fix
the prob...

-Alex.