Max number of services that can be monitored ?

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz misc at viceconsulting.co.nz
Tue Oct 11 01:13:00 CEST 2005

Hi Rob,

> You haven't sent in any information on what your server is actually
> doing, so we can't offer much help there.  Amount of ram seems low, how
> much RAM is free when you're running Nagios?
>
> What standard service checks are you running for each server?
>
> Are you running any of the Perl plugins (and having to launch Perl each
> time you do a service check?)

The Nagios server is a dedicated Nagios server, it is not doing anything
beyond Nagios.  It is monitoring 60 hosts.  Each host has 16 services
configured on it.  Of those 16, 14 are run on the local host via
check_nrpe, the remaining 2 are run on the Nagios server and are check_ssh
and check_ntp (check_ntp is a Perl script.)

The nagios is also self monitoring itself via check_disk, check_load,
check_procs and a couple of shell scripts.

Just out of interest, if you have NOT enabled embedded Perl, then am I
correct in saying that Nagios will INVOKE a Perl script in the exact same
way as it will invoke a C plugin, such as check_nrpe ?  ie it will do a
fork() and run a given program, be it Perl, Shell, C etc.

I have about 160MB of RAM free, and that amount has been free for several
days, swap hasn't been touched.

Should I remove the NTP check, is it really going to be such an issue
given its only 1 of 16 services is using Perl?

> >Is what's happening with my Nagios server normal, or have I made a blatant
> >configuration error that is slowing everything down?
> >

> Lack of information provided, so can't provide any clues.
>
> >I'm runinng Nagios 2.0b4 (embedded Perl DISABLED) on redhat es 3 update 5.
> >

> As with the service checks.  With the Embeded Perl interpereter
> disabled, if you run any Perl based checks, you will have to launch Perl
> each and every time.

With embedded Perl enabled, I was getting memory leaks which was
eventually crashing the Nagios server so I disabled it.

If you can provide any further advice that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex.