Max number of services that can be monitored ?

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 11:48:27 CEST 2005

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz wrote:

>All,
>
>I have a Nagios server that is monitoring about 60 hosts / 1000 services,
>however the CPU is pretty much continually maxed out at 100%, and the
>average active check latency is around 28 seconds (compared to 0.1 seconds
>with my other Nagios server which are monitoring < 100 services).
>
>I was wondering, with 256MB ram and a 2.8GHz P4, should I be maxing out
>Nagios at 1000 services?  I was thinking this seems a little low, and
>thought I could probably be monitoring around 10,000 services before
>worrying about maxing out the machine's resources...

You haven't sent in any information on what your server is actually
doing, so we can't offer much help there.  Amount of ram seems low, how
much RAM is free when you're running Nagios?

What standard service checks are you running for each server?

Are you running any of the Perl plugins (and having to launch Perl each
time you do a service check?)

>Is what's happening with my Nagios server normal, or have I made a blatant
>configuration error that is slowing everything down?

Lack of information provided, so can't provide any clues.

>I'm runinng Nagios 2.0b4 (embedded Perl DISABLED) on redhat es 3 update 5.

As with the service checks.  With the Embeded Perl interpereter
disabled, if you run any Perl based checks, you will have to launch Perl
each and every time.

Cheers
rob.