Does nagios provides such details

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 10 09:56:04 CEST 2005

ankush grover wrote:
> hey friends,
>
> I wanted to know something regarding the working of nagios.Recently I build
> a cluster for Apache & Mysql(ultramonkey).Now I am looking for a tool which
> can give me details like this the no.of connections to apache & mysql,load
> on Apache & Mysql,bandwidth consumed by both Apache & Mysql,Users connected
> to the Mysql/Apache ,IPAddresses of the clients connected to apache/mysql at
> the given time means If I refresh the page the nagios should give me the
> current details.
>
> Does nagios gives such kind of details.

No it does not. No tool will give you the current amount of connections
to apache, because HTTP is a stateless protocol, meaning any given
transaction is executed as a TCP handshake, a data request, the response
and the closing of the connection. The number of transactions in
progress can be determined through

netstat -tan | grep :80 | wc -l

provided you run the apache server on port 80.

As for mysql, I think you can at least get the numbers with check_mysql.

However, you won't get that fresh data with Nagios, as it schedules and
executes checks and presents the results of those checks. If you want "I
hit refresh so now those numbers must be for exactly now", you'll have
to write a cgi-script or PHP page to run those checks for you. It would
most likely not be very useful though, so don't expect anyone else to
have done it already.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se