[web interface problems] status.dat on tmpfs problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Oct 8 10:02:41 CEST 2005

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano wrote:
> Hi List, Andreas,
>
> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 13:43 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>Lori Adams wrote:
>>
>>>I can't seem to get to your site.  http://oss.op5.se/nagios.  I am
>>>trying to find the latest package or sources for nrpe on solaris.  Would
>>>your site have the most recent ones?
>>

>>Yes. My ISP is however thoroughly stubborn about their stupidity. I have
>>dual static IP's at home, and they only seem to be capable of serving
>>one at the time. I didn't even know about it until people started
>>complaining about not being able to reach oss.op5.se (obviously, it
>>works from the inside).
>>

> I've tried to place status.dat file on a tmpfs, and the status.cgi
> begins to crash with "premature ending of cgi script" messages on
> errorlog. And 500 Internal Server error display.
>
> What i should do to fix this situation?

I'm not sure, since I don't know what the actual errors are.

However, writing the status.dat file to ramdisk won't improve
performance much since the kernel will cache the file in memory anyways.
If it hasn't got memory to spare for the tmpfs you'll end up using the
swap partition which is actually more expensive to fetch from than a
continuous block of data on a real partition.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se