[web interface problems] status.dat on tmpfs problem

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Fri Oct 7 20:42:40 CEST 2005

Hi List, Andreas,

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 13:43 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Lori Adams wrote:
> > I can't seem to get to your site.  http://oss.op5.se/nagios.  I am
> > trying to find the latest package or sources for nrpe on solaris.  Would
> > your site have the most recent ones?
>

> Yes. My ISP is however thoroughly stubborn about their stupidity. I have
> dual static IP's at home, and they only seem to be capable of serving
> one at the time. I didn't even know about it until people started
> complaining about not being able to reach oss.op5.se (obviously, it
> works from the inside).

I've tried to place status.dat file on a tmpfs, and the status.cgi
begins to crash with "premature ending of cgi script" messages on
errorlog. And 500 Internal Server error display.

What i should do to fix this situation?

I've mounted a tmpfs at /opt/nagios/var/tmpfs and pointed nagios to
write the status file at that path. My status.dat file is about 15MB. At
the nagios-devel list, I saw a lot of messages claiming for CGI scaling
improvements, the same problem I need to manage with the nagios config
i'm working. It's distributed monitoring with almost 10k of services
been actively monitored and all the status piped to send_nsca to a
central nagios server. This config gives me something about 300 alarms,
and the status.cgi takes real long to load.

TIA,
Marcel Mitsuto