Spam from Groundwork Open Source Solutions

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Oct 7 14:43:51 CEST 2005

I just received this spam from Groundwork Open Source Solutions.  To the
best of my knowledge nothing I have ever posted has even implied that I
might be remotely interested in them, their product or their services.

I don't recall responding to this guy on the list about anything either,
but I don't make any special effort to remember the names of people I
only respond to once or twice.  But even if I had answered one of his
questions or even asked him a question, that does not entitle him to
spam me with an advert for his product.  Maybe if I'd asked about
an integrated solution like openview he would be justified in sending
me a one-liner saying he had such a product and asking if I'd be
interested in more info but not a sales pitch.

Of course, if I had asked on the list if there was an equivalent of
openview then the correct place to respond would have been to the list
so that others could see the answer and find it in the archives.  The fact
that he mailed me personally indicates that he knows damned well that
posting a sales pitch to the list would not be appreciated.

Sadly, blocking him from the list won't stop him trawling the archives.
However, there is nothing to stop the Nagios documentation listing
companies like Groundwork that behave unethically and recommending that
people refuse to do business with them.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support