WMI Query

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:44:11 CEST 2005

Have you tested the command from the command line?
 before implementing a WMI CHeck in NC_Net it should be tested via the
command line, to make sure you get the desired results.
 Read the help Files.
./check_nt --help=WMICHECK -should be run from command line it returns
mutiple lines
./check_nt --help=WMICOUNTER -can use -c and -w against query
./check_nt --help=WMICAT - should be used in nagios instead of WMICHECK
and the Readme from NC_Net
 This command will not work.. the syntax is wrong and it does not define a
Query
command_line $USER1$check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v WMICHECK -l
"cimv2/win32_logicaldrive"
It should be win32_logicaldisk and it needs to have a select part of the
statement like * thus the following should be used instead (all the
following are parsed to the same query)
-l "cimv2^*^win32_logicaldisk"
-l "cimv2^select * from win32_logicaldisk"
 -l "cimv2&*&win32_logicaldisk"
-l "cimv2&select * from win32_logicaldisk"
 as for the command:
command_line /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v WMICHECK
-l "cimv2^select name,freespace,deviceid,status from win32_DiskDrive"
win32_DiskDrive does not have Freespace remove it and it should work:
-l "cimv2^select name,deviceid,status from win32_diskdrive"
 As for the command:

command_line $USER$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v WMICHECK -l "cimv2^select
DeviceID,Status from win32_DiskDrive"

THis ran OK on my system?

 steps to resolve the issue:

Make sure the Check_Nt works from the command line.

Make sure this Check_nt is in the libexec directory of Nagios.

Check the permissions of check_nt to make sure user Nagios can run it.

For the most part Check_nt should always return a 0,1,2,3 so it may be a
permission or missing file issue.

Also WMICHECK is really meant to be run from the command line because it
returns multiple lines and NAgios only resolves the first line of the
output.

WMICAT should be used instead of WMICHECK in nagios.
A example of checking all drives freespace and then returning a critical if
any drive has less than 1Gig of space is: (Make sure to exclude all drives
that do not implement freespace like floppy and CR-Roms.)
 -v WMICOUNTER -l "cimv2^select freespace from win32_logicaldisk where name
!= 'a:' " -c 1000000000
 for more information and on WMI query see msdn.com <http://msdn.com>:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/wql_sql_for_wmi.asp
 NC_Net has been tested for use mostly with simple select statement, thus
all queries should be checked using the command line before implementing in
nagios.
 IF WMICAT and WMICOUNTER do not meed your nagios needs, Then WMICHECK can
be used but should be invoked form a wrapper script that will parse the data
into a more appropriate format for Nagios.
  I hope this helps clarifying some of the usage of WMI with NC_Net
 TOny
amontibello at shatterit.com