WMI Query

Gaston_Perez at itginc.com Gaston_Perez at itginc.com
Wed Oct 5 21:50:01 CEST 2005

Hi All I am pretty new to Linux / Nagios and I am running Nagios 1.2, on a
Redhat 9 server. I have Nagios plugins 1.42 installed on my server and on
my windows 2003 servers I have nc_net 2.28. I am trying to run wmi queries
to check the physical hard drive to report back to me if one fails. Here
is what I have in my checkcommands

# 'WMI Harddrive check' command definition

define command{

        command_name    check_nt_wmihdd

        command_line    $USER1$check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v WMICHECK -l
"cimv2/win32_logicaldrive"

        }

I have also tried this

       command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$
-v WMICHECK -l "cimv2^select name,freespace,deviceid,status from
win32_DiskDrive"

       }

And this

command_line    $USER$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v WMICHECK -l
"cimv2^select DeviceID,Status from win32_DiskDrive"

        }

Here is my services command

define service{

        use                             check-nt-service

        register                        1

        host_name                       server1

        service_description             WMI HDD

        check_command                   check_nt_wmihdd

        max_check_attempts              3

        normal_check_interval           5

        retry_check_interval            3

        check_period                    24x7

        notification_interval           120

        notification_period             workhours

        notification_options            w,c,r

        contact_groups                  prodsupp

        }

Response I have seen from the server is

(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

Nagios Log displays this

[1128541333] Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'WMI HDD' on
host 'rad-db01' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to
run actually exists.

When I ran the first check command statement above this is the output to
the Nagios log

rad-db01;WMI HDD;CRITICAL;HARD;3;(Return code of 127 is out of bounds -
plugin may be missing)

Now I checked my nc_net plugin and it is the version (2.28) that can read
wmi checks. I also verified that the Nagios plugins I am using (1.42)can
understand wmi checks. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in Advance

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain any
recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor and archive
all electronic communications through its network.

ITG Inc. Member NASD, SIPC