voice notification via telephone (vgetty, asterisk, etc.) ?

Adam Tworkowski atworkowski at masterfile.com
Thu Oct 6 20:17:08 CEST 2005

Hi James,

There are several reasons:

Firstly, it is my manager's preference not to rely on SMS.  His reasons
are that when he contacted Bell Canada (national carrier) investigating
what sort of SLA they could provide for their SMS services, the response
was to the effect of [insert chuckle by Simpson's character Dr.
Hibbert's here] "God no! We don't even pretend that are SMS services
24x7/365 --  we shut them down all the time for maintenance".  Needless
to say this didn't leave a warm feeling with my manager.

While not that recently, I have on multiple occasions experienced having
SMS messages "stay in queue" only to arrive hours later, which of
course, is hard to explain to the customer as to why they detected the
alert before I did.  This was with a different national carrier.

Also with SMS, you are relying on a long chain of dependencies including
routers, firewalls, switches on our side as well as Internet connection,
reliability of carriers servers, etc.  You can, of course, use an SMS
modem which reduces some of the "hops".

A phone call seems to cut out at least 1/2 of the areas of possible
failure.  That said, telephone and SMS (or pager) used in conjunction
for critical alerts would likely provide the best degree of coverage.

-Adam

--
Regards,

Adam Tworkowski, atworkowski at masterfile.com
Systems Administrator, Computer Department
Masterfile Corporation, www.masterfile.com

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to
copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.