NRPE, over old version of HPUX (10.01)

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 12:40:45 CEST 2005

Jose Orlando Muñoz B wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking some plugig to monitoring my OLD servers, I read all about
>NRPE and this is the solution I need.
>
>However I can't get it functioning over my Hpux V10.01, I tried to
>install the precompiled version "nrpe-1.8-B.10.20" but i get this error
>
>./nrpe --help
>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Invalid version for shared library: /usr/lib/libc.1
>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error
>Abort(coredump)
>
>I try to compiled the 1.8 source and I get a lot of errors.
>
>I have problem even installing Perl the only perl i get installed is
>v5.002.
>
>I have 20 of this servers and is imposible to monitor manualy.
>
>Thanks a lot for any advisor
>
>Jose.

Okay, the problem is to do with the versions, you are trying to run HPUX
10.20 binaries (with newer libraries) on an older HPUX 10.01 system.

That is why you are getting warnings about invalid versions and exec
format errors..

I recommend that you find a decent HPUX 10.01 server (maybe an L class?)
and set up a build server.  :Load on GCC/CC and appropriate libraries
and compile NRPE for your version of HPUX..

God help you if your fastest box is a G or F class server.. my coldolences..

HPUX 10.01 is around 10 years old, and the G and F class servers aren't
much newer..  While I respect the fact that you need to maintain them,
the operating system is no longer maintained even by HP, and the rest of
the world has moved on to HPUX 10.20 and 11.0.
http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/discon/5971-0265.htm

There are newer versions of NRPE, version 2.0 and 2.2.. Try them

Cheers
rob.