Antwort: nagios not running host check_command

srunschke at abit.de srunschke at abit.de
Mon Nov 28 14:32:32 CET 2005

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 28.11.2005 14:06:26:

> I have about 20 servers, for which I have no specific services to
monitor, but
> which I am interested in their host status, ie the check_command in the
host
> entry in the hosts.cfg file is set to check-host-alive.
>
> However, it appears that the host check_command is never executed, and
> availability for the host is always Undetermined - Insufficient Data 1d
0h 0m
> 0s 100.000%
>
> Also the status in Host Status detail is always pending, though there
are no
> other checks configured for this host.
>
> If I explicitly add a check-host-alive for the host in a service
> configuration,
> then the host appears as up in the Host Status Details list, but
obviously I
> would expect it to appears as UP due to the check_command
>
> Any ideas on whether this is the expected behaviour for the
check_command
> directive?

It is the expected behaviour.
Nagios is a network monitoring tool, not a host-only monitoring tool.
It actually expects that a host must have a kind of service running
to be useful - which is more or less true in 99.99% of the cases ;)
Therefor nagios works like this:

1. do the defined service-checks on all defined hosts
2. IF and only IF one of those checks fail, then issue a check_host_alive
to see if it's a problem with the service or if the host is down

It is safe to assume that a host is alive if its services are responding.
Checking the host for being alive again is redundant unless one of its
services fail.

So you need to set up some kind of services for each host to have them
appear as "UP". Though there _is_ a configuration option to enforce
check_host_alive checks, but alas I cannot remember it. Your best friend
is the documentation in this matter. (or just look through the configfile
and check for this particular option)

regards
        sash

Sascha Runschke