nagios not running host check_command

Tom Hodder tom at ecnow.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 14:06:26 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a basic nagios setup using the rpms;
nagios-2.0-0.b4.1.1.el3.test
nagios-plugins-1.4-2.1.el3.rf

Its running fairly vanilla minimal.cfg, with a separate hosts file. In
nagios.cfg host checks are enabled;

execute_host_checks=1

I have about 20 servers, for which I have no specific services to monitor, but
which I am interested in their host status, ie the check_command in the host
entry in the hosts.cfg file is set to check-host-alive.

However, it appears that the host check_command is never executed, and
availability for the host is always Undetermined - Insufficient Data 1d 0h 0m
0s 100.000%

Also the status in Host Status detail is always pending, though there are no
other checks configured for this host.

If I explicitly add a check-host-alive for the host in a service configuration,
then the host appears as up in the Host Status Details list, but obviously I
would expect it to appears as UP due to the check_command

Any ideas on whether this is the expected behaviour for the check_command
directive?

Thank,

Tom

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host template
to use
        host_name               zapp0020
        alias                   zapp0020
        address                 10.254.1.151
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups  		admins
        }

define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 99,99% -c
100,100% -p 1
        }