Multiple links from serviceextinfo to graphs?

Max btmanmeh at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 20:48:43 CET 2005

John P. Rouillard wrote:
> In Nagios 2.0 you also have an action_url as well as notes_url. I link
> to a twiki page for the URL and uses passed in parameters
> (http://host/twiki/bin/view/ServicePing?host=...) to customize the
> offered links.
>
> I use a generic template to define all the links:
>
>   # generic serviceextinfo entry template
>   define serviceextinfo {
> 	register	0
> 	name		generic-service
> 	notes_url	https://host.com/twiki/bin/view/Systems/NagSvc$SERVICEDESC$
> 	action_url      https://host.com/twiki/bin/view/Systems/NagSvc$SERVICEDESC$?host=$HOSTNAME$&service=$SERVICEDESC$&state=$SERVICESTATE$&output=$SERVICEOUTPUT$
> 	}
>
> and the wiki page provides links to cactii graphs, create a trouble
> tickets etc. Note SERVICEDESC and SERVICESTATE don't actually expand
> sadly.  Works well and allows other searches/actions to be only 2
> clicks away.
>
> IMO the current mechanism doesn't scale well. Too much screen space is
> needed to provide a link to all the possible things you may want to
> link to. Would be nicer to have the ability to bind a menu (e.g.
> dropdown/select box) of items/links into the service information page.
>
> However using a wiki as an index of links is nice in that it can link
> to system information and tickets associated with the hosts and
> services. We will be including troubleshooting info in the wiki as
> well to make it easier to respond to problems.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'm running Nagios 1.2, I guess I should have
mentioned that before. For a few of the things I would like to do, that
would work because I only have two different URL's I would to be able to
get to. For some of my things however, that will not work because I'm
linking to three, four, five or more. My one host I'm linking to almost
40 URL's. It's a switch which is graphing for each individual port that
I want to view.

Basically, I just created a generic html page, added all my different
URL's that I need to be able to get to, and then just linked that to the
  one specific notes_url. My fellow IT members can then browse to that
page, have a list of all the specific graphs they would like to see, and
simply click on whatever they want to be displayed. This will work great
for me because it's not something that is going to get a ton of looks.

I like the sounds of a drop down box though, that would be great to
have, but for now what I just did works just as great for myself. Thanks.

Max